PhD (Reading University, UK) Entomology
BSc (Hons) Zoology (Bendel State University, Nigeria)
Ntebaleng Makate, PhD, is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Botswana in Gaborone. She received her BSc (Hons.) degree in Zoology from Bendel State University, Ekpoma in Nigeria and her PhD from Reading University, UK, in Insect Molecular Biology. She has been a recipient of the CV Raman International Fellowship for African Researchers. She is also a member of the National Taxonomy Committee (NTC) a committee mandated to drive the Global Taxonomy Initiative (GTI) programme of work in Botswana.
Her teaching is in the area of Entomology, Parasitology and Invertebrate Zoology.
1. Molecular identification of insect pests of agricultural and medical importance and their control.
2. Distribution of malaria vectors in Botswana and their insecticide resistance status towards the use of synthetic chemicals.
Her recent research activities include a project on i) ‘Mosquito Abundance, Diversity and Assessment of Public Health Risk’ and
ii) 'Evaluating the Impact of Malaria Health Posts on Resident and Mobile and Migrant Populations in E8 Border Districts'
1. Stored product entomology
2. Malaria vector control
1. Tefo Kesaobaka Kgoroebutswe, Ntebaleng Makate, Ulrike Fillinger, Mandla Mpho, Godira Segoea, Peter Onyango Sangoro, Cliford Maina Mutero, Emmanuel Chanda, Davies Ntebela, Mpho Mogopa, Tjantilili Mosweunyane and Theresia Estomih Nkya (2020) Vector control for malaria elimination in Botswana: progress, gaps and opportunities. Malaria Journal 19:301 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12936-020-03375-6
2. T. K. Kgoroebutswe, P. Ramatlho, S. Reeder, N. Makate & G.M. Paganotti (2020) Distribution of Anopheles mosquito species and profiling of kdr status in malaria vectors of Botswana. Parasitology Research 119(4), 1201-1208
3. Makate, N. (2016) Insecticide resistance status in Botswana. In Insecticide resistance. InTech Pages 262-274 ISBN no.978-953-51-4591-2