Eligibility for a Botswana Visa
All Citizens of Commonwealth countries do not require visa except those from Bangladesh, Cameroon, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. These include those who have permits, but decide to stay outside the country for more than six months are required to apply for a visa when they come back to Botswana. Foreign nationals whose countries have signed a Visa Abolition Agreement with Botswana are also not required to apply for a visa.
List of countries whose nationals/citizens do not require a visa for entry into Botswana include:
- All Commonwealth countries (except for Bangladesh, Cameroon, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Pakistan and Sri Lanka).
- Angola, Argentina, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba,Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Federal Republic of Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Holy See, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway and Colonies, Oman, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Sudan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela, Zambia, Zimbabwe
NB: All countries that are not listed above, require visa for entry into Botswana.
For further details see, https://www.gov.bw/visa-applications/visa-application-study-visa
Requirements for applying for a Botswana Visa
- Fully completed immigration support Form D (download form from the link below)
- Certified/notarised Passport copy - must contain passport numbers, date of birth, expiry date of the passport etc.
- Two identical coloured and clear passport size photos (with a white background)
- Invitation letter from the host institution (invitation letter from the Office of International Education & Partnerships)
- Fee of P500.00 per applicant (payable to the immigration department)
- Copy of airline travel itinerary
- Admission letter
- Sponsorship letter and bank statements of the sponsor (at least 1month bank statement for self-sponsored students)
Where to apply for a visa
Botswana has 20 diplomatic missions in 17 countries around the world where visa applications can be made: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, China, Ethiopia, India, Japan, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa (Pretoria), Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States (New York), Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Republic of South Africa transit visa
Countries that require a transit visa from the Republic of South Africa to Botswana include:
Bangladesh, Cameroon, China, Congo Kinshasa, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Sierra Leon, Somalia, Sudan, Pakistan, Ukraine and Russia.
How long does it take to get a visa?
A Botswana visa takes 7 - 14 working days to process.