International student must satisfy the Botswana Immigration requirements before arriving for study. Upon receipt of the admission letter from UB, students are advised to check with Botswana embassies in their countries if they need a visa to enter Botswana.
Requirements for a visa application:
- Fully completed immigration support Form D
- Certified copy of passport page detailing passport numbers, date of birth, expiry etc.
- Two identical passport size photos
- Covering letter from the host
- BWP 500.00 as application fee per applicant
- Copy of airline travel itinerary
- Admission letter
- Sponsorship letter
Application for a residence permit will be processed only after admission and proof of registration at the University of Botswana. Please note that Botswana does not issue a Study Permit, therefore your residence permit is your study permit.
Requirements for a residence permit application:
- Copy of admission Letter
- Copy of sponsorship letter
- Two passport photos
- Pages of a passport that contain passport number date of birth, expiry date of a passport. certified
- Copy of birth certificate -certified
- Payment of P1,500.00 charged for Immigration services
- Letter from International Education and Partnerships office.
- Emergency travel documents will not be accepted when processing a residence permit, only a valid passport will be accepted.
- It is advisable to bring certified copies of the above documents with you when travelling to avoid delays and paying fee for certifying.
- Students are responsible for maintaining the validity of their residence permit throughout their stay in Botswana
- The International Office will assist all international students with the application of a residence permit after registration.
For inquiries regarding visa processing, please contact the International Student Office at Phone 00267 355 5145 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Arrival and Transportation
Students are advised to make their travel arrangements well in advance to avoid problems with connections and or long stopovers. The International Office picks up students from the airport or bus terminus provided the office has flight/bus schedules. Therefore, flight/bus information, i.e. airline, flight number, exact date and time of arrival in Gaborone, should be sent to the office 3 weeks before arrival. The service is available to all international students. For pickup services please email email@example.com.
NB: Kindly note that you will be responsible for organising your own transport at the port of entry should you not communicate your arrival date on time or fail to arrive on the stipulated time which is between 08:00hrs and 17:00hrs. Private taxis are available at the airport and they cost between $15 -$20 for the trip to the University. The trip to the University from the airport takes about 20 minutes.
The University has a limited number of bed spaces for both undergraduate and graduate students and therefore an allocation criteria is in place to process applications. Priority is given to new students and those coming from faraway places, including international students. Prospective International students need to apply for accommodation as soon as they receive their admission letters. The Office of International Education and Partnership (OIEP) has a dedicated member of staff to help international students with all accommodation related issues. NB: Accommodation is always available for international students as long as applications are received well on time.
For enquires regarding the application of accommodation, please contact the International Office at 00267 355 5145 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: +267 355 2003/2913/2001/2002
School of Graduate Studies
Tel: +267 355 2960/2861/2862/4690