Everyone conducting any research project that may impact directly or indirectly on people, animals or the environment needs to seek ethics clearance before any research is conducted.
The following which make up a complete application package for research should be submitted to ORD for ethics clearance and then forwarded to the relevant government Ministry for research permit application:
- Detailed proposal
- Duly completed and signed government research permit application form (for research done outside UB)
- Data collection tools (interview guide, focus group guide, questionnaires in Setswana and English)
- Adult consent form in English, Setswana (or any local language of study population, for participants aged 18 and above)
- Assent form in English, Setswana (or any local language of study population, for research involving minors)
- Parent permission form in English, Setswana (or any local language of study population, for research involving minors)
- Authorization letters from sites where study will be conducted( headmen, hospital, area chief etc)
- Detailed study budget
- Grant approval letter
- CVs of key researchers
- Letter of support from academic supervisor or HOD (for students)
- Any other supporting materials i.e. recruitment scripts, brochures, flyers etc. (if Applicable)
- Approval letter from other research ethics committees (for multisite studies)
- Plagiarism check certificate (for study proposal)
Failure to provide these documents risks delaying approval to proceed with the research.
Applications for graduate students and staff should be submitted through the University Research Management System (RMS). The RMS link is on the UB Website under system links.
All undergraduates applications should be submitted through the ORD ethics module on Moodle. Students with a valid registration but without ORD ethics module in their profiles should contact email@example.com.
Forms and Templates: https://ehealth.ub.bw/redcap/surveys/?s=R73KYAJKKW
Applications for exemptions, protocol amendment, continuing review, protocol violations/deviations, severe adverse events reporting and close-out should be submitted electronically by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general Ethics enquiries and support contact email@example.com