Subject to the provisions of the Academic General Regulations 50.2 and Faculty of Humanities, the following Departmental Regulations shall apply. The degree is carried out through supervised research, but with required coursework that is deemed necessary by the Departmental Board.
The normal minimum qualifications for entry into the PhD shall be a:
• An appropriate Master’s (MSc, MA, MEd, MPhil or equivalent)
• Applications shall initially have a provisional registration into the PhD, and subsequently transfer registration to the PhD degree after satisfying the requirements for such a transfer of registration.
Duration of Programme
The normal duration of the degree shall be as
• A minimum of 6 semesters and a maximum of 8 semesters on a full-time basis
• A minimum of 8 semesters and a maximum of 16 semesters on a part-time basis.
• Under no circumstances can the duration of study be greater than 16 semesters
Further information on program structure are found in the Academic General Regulations 50.4- 50.5
The courses are:
LIS 801 Seminar Paper
LIS 802 MPhil Proposal Defense
LIS 800 Supervised Research and Thesis in Library and Information Studies (MPhil)
LIS 900 Supervised Research and Thesis in Library and Information Studies (PhD)