The Department of Population Studies at the University of Botswana in collaboration with Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Department of Biostatistics & the African Research, Implementation Science, and Education (ARISE) Network is offering a short course on Methods for data management with software application. The short course will take place from the 5-9th August 2019 in Block 247 Seminar Room 133, University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana.
Researchers, implementers, and patients generate more and more data in the health sciences each day. Decisions that affect resource allocation, care provision, and ultimately, population health and welfare are dependent on the quality of these data. The focus of this course is on producing high-quality, reproducible, and useable datasets. The course will cover topics such as survey measurement and design, principles of data collection, quality assurance, and data sharing and reporting. Through the course, students will develop a data management plan, create a tablet-based data collection program using Open Data Kit (ODK) or SurveyCTO, and develop code for basic quality checks using Stata. This course includes ten modules, accompanying practicums and four graded exercises.
By the end of the one-week course, participants should be able to:
- State the principles of producing high-quality data
- Develop questionnaires and identify problems with existing questionnaires from a data quality perspective
- Design electronic data collection tools that produce high-quality data
- Develop data collection procedures for producing high-quality data
- Monitor data and adjust data collection procedures
- Clean data
- Produce meaningful summary statistics, graphs, and data monitoring reports
Further course details
- There are no pre-requisites for this course; however, participants who have an interest in data collection, analysis and management will benefit from taking this course.
- Also, participants are expected to have at least a Bachelor’s degree from a relevant field, and a willingness to learn software packages such as ODK or SurveyCTO, and Stata.
- The training methods include lectures, practicums sessions, and graded exercises.
- The course fee is P5000.00 per person (Excludes travel and accommodation). Training materials, refreshments (tea, coffee, and water) and lunch will be provided each day.
The number of participants is limited to 25; please register early and pay the course fee before the start of the course.
For additional information regarding the course, please contact:
Oleosi Ntshebe - Course Coordinator email@example.com Tel:+355 5704