Disability Disclosure Procedure
Request for academic accommodations can be made as soon a student receives an acceptance to the University of Botswana or anytime through the academic year. In order to ensure that you receive the support you need, it is vital that you register with DSSU. Students who would like to request for academic accommodations must follow these steps:
- Register with DSSU as soon as possible.
- Provide verification of any form of disability documented by a medical practitioner, physician, and or allied health professionals or,
- Provide documentation of professional assessment of the condition to guide on the appropriate academic accommodations.
NB: All documents regarding the student’s conditions will be maintained by DSSU and will not form part of the student’s academic records. All documents will be handled with the highest level of confidentiality and SHARED CONFIDENTIALITYbetween professionals/departments will be done with the student’s consent. DSSU will keep a list of students registered with the Disability office for each academic year.
Students Rights and Responsibilities
- A student with any disability has the right to choose whether or not to access DSSU services. For this reason, students have to self-identify and register with DSSU for psychosocial and educational support.
- Maintain contact with DSSU office throughout the academic year
- Self-advocates in matters pertaining to support and academic accommodations.
- Regularly consult with course instructors on educational matters.
Service Request Forms
Please, download and submit the completed service request form (depending on your individual specific needs) to the DSSU:
- Individual Assessment Form
- Academic Accommodation Request Form
- Special Examination Request Form
- Informed Consent or Release of Information Authorization Form
- Course Schedule Form
- Hostel Accommodation Request Form
- Support Service Evaluation Form