DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL SERVICES
MANAGER: PURCHASING & TENDERS- BUSINESS SERVICES
VACANCY NO: IRC 838
Main Purpose of the Job:
To coordinate, organise, manage and control the day to day procurement, stores control and acquisition of goods and services and the implementation of the University’s tender and supplies policies, procedures and regulations to meet the University’s requirements for goods and services in the most cost effective manner.
- Assisting the Deputy Director in the formulation and reviewing Policies relating to management of Purchasing Section, its manuals and other documents, and developing operational controls to ensure efficient and effective management of the Purchasing Section.
- Responsible for the implementation of Purchasing Sub-systems, oversight of methods and procedures to be followed by Assistant Manager and monitor its operations and activities to ensure that departmental plans and practices are not compromised, and the collective interest of the University Community is satisfied.
- Handling all the necessary tasks involved such as judicious Purchasing Policy, Stock Control, General Administrative duties, and all other ancillary duties involved in running Purchasing Section.
- Assists in setting performance objectives and targets for the various sections/subsections in conjunction with staff by providing administrative guidance.
- Direct supervision of all staff within the various sections/subsections under him/her; shall report on their performance and character and take remedial action in accordance with University procedures, rules and regulations.
- Collates and prepare departmental requirements for tenders, and ensure method of procurement such as direct purchase or tender bids, observing that tender rules have been followed before accepting or realising supplies, and ensure that tenders are promptly processed.
- Negotiate with suppliers and reviews tender supplies and shipments for accuracy.
- Selects and evaluate suppliers, estimates values according to the knowledge of the market, or basing on value analysis or value engineering and confirm tender invoices for payment.
- Authorise works orders for repairs and requisitions for refurbishing of supplies, equipment and services.
- Prepare and ensure prompt submission of the Purchasing Section budget, and administer the approved budget.
- May attend meetings of University Committees at the request of the Deputy Director or on his behalf.
- Discuss defective and unacceptable tender goods or services with inspection quality control personnel, users, vendors, and other determined sources of trouble and take corrective action in consultation with the other Manager.
- Oversees arrangements and procedures for receiving and disbursement of tender samples from and to the suppliers.
- Oversees arrangements for the custody of the office keys, tender record/files and other items that require accountability in the Supplies Officer.
- Liaison with tenderers, Assistant Managers and Heads of Department on issues relating to tender goods supplied and services rendered.
- Confers with departments to ensure co-ordination of procurement activities with activities of other functions and to ensure that the information about the products or service is obtained.
- Assists departments to prepare out-sourcing contracts and monitor and evaluate performance of contracts.
- Advises tender committee on tender procedures and ensures strict adherence to the University’s purchasing procedures.
- Liaises with user departments on the placement of advertisements for staff, goods and services.
- Approves purchases in accordance with delegated authority and limits.
- Liaises with accounts department on the payment of suppliers and resolves creditors queries.
- Liaises closely with user departments, and de-centralised stores on the receipt of goods and inventory management.
- Monitors inventories in various stores and develops re-ordering systems to ensure availability of stock items.
Requirements: Candidates should have a (i) Degree in Business, Materials Management or related area. (ii) Membership of an internationally recognised institute of materials management (e.g. MIPS) desirable but not essential.
Experience: (i) At least five years post qualification experience in materials management specialising in purchasing. (ii) Knowledge of computerised materials management and inventory control systems is essential. (iii) Must have the ability to develop and management the implementation of purchasing and tender procedures to protect the interests of the University.
Qualities: Leadership and management skills, Organisational and coordinating skills Communication, and interpersonal skills Negotiating skills, Negotiation and Supplier Management Skills.
Remuneration: The University of Botswana offers a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to apply: Please attach application letter, up-to-date CV, certified true copies of educational certificate and transcripts. Also quote the vacancy number and the post applied for, three reference letters, names and addresses of three referees, and send complete documentation to:
The Manager, Appointments and Administration (Support), University of Botswana, Private Bag 0022, Gaborone: Botswana. Telephone: (267) 3552040/5731/2048/4147, Fax (267) 3974796.
Applicants should inform their referees to: (i) Quote the Vacancy Number and Position applied for and (ii) submit their references directly to the above address, before the stipulated closing date.
Hand delivered applications should be submitted to Office 205 at Block 108.
Please note that applications with incomplete information shall not be acknowledged.
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
CLOSING DATE: 09 SEPTEMBER 2019