DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL SERVICES
ASSISTANT MANAGER- BUSINESS SERVICES
VACANCY NO: IRC 839
Main Purpose of the Job:
To assist in the coordination, organisation and supervision of the acquisition of goods and services in accordance with user department specifications and the University’s purchasing and tender policies procedures and regulations to optimize the availability of such goods and services in the most cost effective manner.
Duties: The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Organize and supervises daily activities of purchasing section to ensure the timely processing of requisitions, purchase orders, preparation of tender documents, expediting orders, processing invoices and statements for payment, etc, ensuring adherence to policies procedures and regulations and maximise service to end users.
- Assist in setting performance objectives and targets for the various sections/subsections in conjunction with staff by providing administrative guidance.
- Assist in collating and preparing departmental requirements for the annual tender, ensuring method of procurement such as direct purchase or tender bids, observing that tender rules have been followed before accepting or realising supplies, and ensuring that tenders are promptly processed.
- Negotiate with Suppliers.
- Review tender supplies and shipments for accuracy.
- Assist in selecting and evaluating suppliers, estimate values according to the knowledge of the market, or basing on value analysis or value engineering and confirm tender invoices for payment.
- Authorises works orders for repairs and requisitions for refurbishing of supplies, equipment and services.
- Assist in preparing and ensuring prompt submission of the Purchasing Section budget, and administer the approved budge
- Organise and supervise the placement of orders for stock items in accordance with inventory levels.
- Liaise with de-centralised stores on the purchasing of standard stock items and provide advice on re-order schedules, pricing, sourcing and customs requirements.
- Purchase goods and services normally used by the University by collating departmental requirements.
- Determine the method of purchasing (tenders or quotations) and determining the sources of supply from which offers will be invited. (n)Maintaining lists of approved sources of supply and investigates new or alternate sources.
- Invite offers, evaluate them and decide on the most advantageous offer for recommendation to the Manager, Purchasing and Tenders.
- Discusses defective and unacceptable tender goods or services with inspection quality control personnel, users, vendors, and other determined sources of trouble and take corrective action in consultation with the other Assistant Managers.
- Oversees arrangements and procedures for receiving and disbursement of tender samples from and to the suppliers.
- Oversees arrangements for the custody of the office keys, tender record/files and other items that require accountability in the Purchasing Office.
- Monitoring daily recording of purchase orders and invoices.
- Liaises with vendors on issues relating to goods supplied and services they supply/render.
- Conferring with departments to ensure co-ordination of procurement activities with activities of other functions and to obtain information about the products or services required.
Qualification Requirements: (i) Candidates should have a Degree in Business, or Materials Management or business related area. (ii) Membership of an internationally recognised institute of materials management (e.g. IPS) desirable but not essential
Exceptionally: (i) Holders of a recognised Diploma in materials management (e.g. IPS) plus at least five years’ experience in a computerized materials management environment responsible for the purchase of a wide range of goods and services. Knowledge of tender procedures is essential.
Remuneration: The University of Botswana offers a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to apply: Please attach application letter, up-to-date CV, certified true copies of educational certificate and transcripts. Also quote the vacancy number and the post applied for, three reference letters, names and addresses of three referees, and send complete documentation to: The Manager, Appointments and Administration (Support), University of Botswana, Private Bag 0022, Gaborone: Botswana. Telephone: (267) 3552040/5731/2048/4147, Fax (267) 3974796.
Applicants should inform their referees to: (i) Quote the Vacancy Number and Position applied for and (ii) submit their references directly to the above address, before the stipulated closing date.
Hand delivered applications should be submitted to Office 205 at Block 108.
Please note that applications with incomplete information shall not be considered
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
CLOSING DATE: 09 SEPTEMBER 2019