The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Botswana (UB) offers both under-graduate (MBBS) and post-graduate degrees.
This announcement invites applications for a post-graduate training programme in the Faculty that will begin in January 2020. For more information about UB or its post-graduate programmes please visit the following UB websites: (www.ub.bw) and (www.ubotho.net).
Post-graduate Training Opportunities
Master of Medicine (MMed) programme in the following specialty;
The programme has three components; course work, examinations (primary and exit) and a research-based dissertation. Trainees must successfully complete all these in order to qualify for an award of a UB qualification and for registration with the Botswana Health Professions Council (BHPC) as specialists.
The programme is open to Botswana citizens as well as to non-citizens. Applicants should have completed medical training at a recognized medical school and have been in active clinical practice for at least two years by 29th November 2019, at least one of which must have been in an approved internship programme. Applicants who have successfully done Part I (primary) examinations of the Colleges of Medicine of South Africa in Anaesthesia will stand a better chance of being selected into those programmes.
MMed trainees will be on full-time training though working in MOHW facilities.
MMed programmes are offered on a full-time basis. Students will have to arrange sponsorship before they enroll. The sponsorship should cover the cost of training and welfare. Proof of financial support will be a pre-requisite for confirmation of selection for those who are successful at interviews.
Completed applications must include:
- A completed UB School of Graduate Studies application form (downloadable from www.ubotho.net).
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae listing education, work experience and relevant personal information including active e-mail addresses and mobile telephone numbers.
- A statement of approximately 500 words indicating why the applicant is seeking postgraduate training in Anaesthesia.
- Certified copies of qualifications and degrees as well as official transcripts from the applicant’s previous training institution.
- Three recent and signed letters of reference.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interviews, which will be oral. The final assessment mark will be 30% experience, 30% academic qualifications and 40% interview.
Candidates who are successful will be notified by 19th December 2019 and should be available to start training on Tuesday 7th January 2020.
All applications should be received by 13th December 2019.
For enquiries or submission of application documents contact the following Faculty of Medicine officers based at Sir Ketumile Masire Teaching Hospital, UB Main Campus;
- Mrs. Kago Molapisi at maplankak@UB.AC.BW, phone +267 355-4755, Office number F4011,
- Ms. Fanny Tsie at tsiem@UB.AC.BW, phone +267 355-4693, Office F4009