Home » Faculties and Schools » Research and Development » Centre of Specialisation in Public Administrator Management (CESPAM)
CESPAM aims at:
- providing quality training in public administration and management
- improving organizational performance primarily in the public sector
- contributing toward improved performance of the economies of the SADC member states
- improving the skills of practicing administrators and managers
- increasing the stock of trained public sector personnel in the region.
- ensuring a continuing supply of new highly trained personnel primarily in public administration and management.
- supporting SADC implement the SADC Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP).
In attaining these objectives, the programme will take into consideration the relevant developments taking place in the region. These will include among others, the following:
- New Priority Issues
- Changes in administrative and managerial roles and styles
- The emphasis on effective service delivery and treating citizens as valued customers
- Improving efficiency and effectiveness of the public sector
- Combating corruption
- The general emphasis on political and economic liberalization
- The emphasis on good governance, accountability and ethical public sector leadership and management
- The emphasis on public sector reforms
- Managing HIV/AIDS in the public sector
- An Emphasis on improved Gender balance
CESPAM’s mandate is to educate leaders in the SADC public sector in best practice in public administration and management to empower them to lead and manage their respective organizations efficiently and effectively. It aims to train leaders with the attributes and skills to:
- Motivate people
- Apply innovative and flexible solutions
- Develop visions
- Think strategically
- Establish alliances and networks
- Sensitively approach cultural diversity
- Apply cutting edge management skills negotiate effectively
- Communicate easily
- Practice accountability and responsibility and have a deep rooted commitment in the public sector and providing the best possible service to the citizens – their customers.
CESPAM undertakes the following activities:
The training activities have two components:
- The Masters Degree in Public Administration (MPA).
The MPA Programme accepts 20-25 students per year, some of whom are offered competitive scholarships.
- Short-Term Executive programmes (STEPS)
CESPAM Short-Term Executive training courses address the priority and critical issues relevant to SADC. These priority issues take into account the SADC Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP) of SADC as well as the Millennium Development Goals and other internationally agreed parameters. CESPAM offers a number of short-term executive (STEP) training courses for senior officials in the SADC region on a variety of public administration and management topics which are of particular relevance to the public sector in the SADC.
Course offerings have included the following themes: Impact of HIV/AIDS in the Public Sector, Gender in the Public Sector, Trade and Negotiation Skills, Financial Management, E-Government, The application of ITCs in the Public Sector, Governance, Public Sector Reform, GIS, Leadership in the Public sector, The Political Administrative Interface, Public Sector Management, Human Resources Management to name a few.
Research will be conducted into those priority areas and issues which will:
- Lead to improvement in organizational performance primarily in the public sector
- Contribute toward improved performance of the economies of SADC member states
- Improve the practice of public administration and management as a feedback to training materials development
- Foster regional integration and collaboration in Public Sector Administration and Management.
Consultancy services will be provided by CESPAM as requested by SADC member states, public and private sector institutions, international organizations and non-governmental organizations.
Networking and Information:
CESPAM will network and create linkages with institutions and relevant professional organizations, both within and outside in the SADC region, to deliver cost-effective programs. It also offers information and forthcoming programmes as well as detailed reports and presentations from its educational activities.