UB has committed a portion of its budget to provide seed funds to support research, mostly by junior staff, through a biannual competition held at the beginning of each semester. This competition is administered through the University Research Committee (URC) to ensure that funding is fairly distributed and in a cost effective manner. Due to limited funds, staff members are however strongly encouraged to seek larger external funding to support their research activities.
ORD manages the University's external funding enterprise and assists faculty in all stages of the grant process, from identifying a potential sponsor to closing out a project. ORD stimulate an expanding and balanced research program throughout the institution in collaboration with and in support of the University's academic programs.
The ORD has subscribed to a series of search engines to help in search for funding for research or fellowship programs. These engines enable to enter key words that are descriptors of the research area of interest that will lead to appropriate solicitations. Several of these search engines provide information that will enable to receive a selected list of daily or weekly postings or of specific date required.
Uses of various funding databases for opportunities and sources that UB subscribed are stated below. Other centralised databases and Indices may require subscription:
- Community of Science/Pivot (www.pivot.cos.com)
- Foundations online
Other Agencies and Search Engines that are useful and which UB uses are
- www.NIH.gov (National Institutes of Health)
- www.NSF.gov (National Science Foundation)
- www.Arts.endow.gov (National Endowment for the Arts)
- www.NEH.gov (National Endowment for the Humanities)
- The Foundation Center - For International Visitors
- SRA International Grants Web Resources
- GrantsNet: International Grants and Fellowships Index
- UK Research Council
- Altum Research Funding Scheme
- EU/ EC/ FP7
- Canadian Research Council
- Grand Challenges Funding Scheme (Medical Funding Opportunities)