Consistent with the vision, mission and values of the University of Botswana, the Centre has the following objectives:
- To promote and develop research capacity and competence among University staff and students;
- To develop local scientific knowledge and expertise on the San;
- To pursue innovative strategies for promoting San access to higher education and capacity building;
- To inform Government policy on San development through research in the above focus areas;
- To secure research funding through existing and new links in order to make the Centre financially self-sufficient and sustainable;
- To facilitate San self-representation and choices in development.