The Department of Primary Education currently runs two B.Ed programs, the B.Ed Primary Education & the B.Ed Educational Management.
B.Ed Primary program is a double major composed of Primary Education and the Areas of concentration (the traditional teaching option). The program is composed of Core courses, Optional courses, Electives and General Education Courses (GEC). The program therefore, translates into five possible combinations of primary education and areas of concentration as follows:
- Primary Education and Maths & Science concentration
- Primary Education and Languages Concentration
- Primary Education and Social/Studies concentration
- Primary Education and Special Topics concentration
- Primary Education and Practical Subjects concentration
B.Ed Educational Management program has attracted clients from various education sectors such as secondary and primary departments, police, vocational colleges, and general educational administrators from. Candidates for the program are both from within and outside the country. In line with vision 2016 and the UB vision and mission, the goal of the program is to provide leadership skills for the education sector.
The Department of Primary Education also offers M.Ed programs in Early Childhood Education, and Language Education. The primary goal of these programs is capacity building in Early Childhood Education, and Language Education in the Southern African region. The programs arefocused on the preparation of high calibre, professionally personnel for pedagogical and research careers in tertiary institutions as well as in allied institutions/bodies in the education sector of the economy in the region.
At the completion of the programs students should be able to:
- provide leadership in the improvement of primary/basic education, in collaboration with other departments and the Ministry of Education.
- strive toward becoming a centre of excellence dedicated to improving the quality of teacher education and teaching in the primary schools.
- demonstrate understanding of a wide range of educational issues regarding child development, language, research, assessment, philosophy and computer applications.
- contribute to the body of knowledge about the educational enterprise in Botswana through research and evaluation undertakings.
- strive toward becoming agents of innovation and changes in the field of primary/basic education.
- demonstrate leadership skills for the education sector.